Wednesday, June 1, 2016

Me Made May - The Finish Line

Here are my pix from the last nine days of May.

Monday, May 23

Monday was such a lazy day, I can't even remember what I did. Whatever it was, I wore one of my Alabama Chanin sleeveless tees with my Burdastyle 08-2015-125b, Pleated Trousers. I can be sure I didn't ride my bike anywhere. These pants are super breezy and comfortable, but guaranteed to get stuck in my chain and throw me to my death beneath the wheels of a bus.

Tuesday, May 24
Tuesday I met my friend, Beth, for dinner at Lago di Como, by the sea. It turned into a beautiful, clear and sunny day and we had a great dinner. I wore my new BS 06-2011-104 top along with my old friends, the stretch denim BS 10-2013-107.

Wednesday, May 25
Wednesday I met my friend, Lisa, for dinner at Chocolate in downtown Santa Cruz. We had our usual salad-with-a-glass-of-wine, and I had a Tina for dessert. Yum. A Tine is a teeny, tiny cup of hot chocolate with just a dab of whipped cream. So small, it hardly counts, but the chocolate is so thick and delicious, you can eat it with a spoon. I wore a loose tee-dress, which is basically the Burdastyle ruched shoulder tee (BS 02-2013-126), lengthened to my knees.

Thursday, May 26
Thursday was another easy day. No meetings, no commitments. I wore my second pair of BS 05-2012-122, the Pajama Style Pants, with an Alabama Chanin tee. I've made about 6 of these tees and I love them. The style is so classic and well-fitting. High crew neck, slim fit, sleeves or not, as you choose. They remind me of the Basic Tees I used to get at The Gap, back in the day when I shopped for clothes.

Friday, May 27
Friday I rode my bike to the elementary school to do my tutoring in the morning, and then up the hill to campus in the afternoon for a hike with my friend, Anne. I needed something comfortable to move in, so I wore my BS stretch denim pants and a cowl neck tee that I made from directions in an old Threads magazine. Every time I wear this tee I remind myself I need to make another - I bet I could turn out something with a neater finish nowadays. For dinner, The Man took me to Cafe Limelight for pannini and hummus. Yum.

Saturday, May 28
Saturday was another easy, at home day. I can tell it must have gotten sunny because I'm wearing a sleeveless top; the BS 09-2011-128. This is another top I've made multiple times. It's a great pattern if you have a large scale print and you somehow only bought one yard. No darts, no muss, no fuss. The trousers are my denim BS 05-2012-122.

Sunday, May 29
Sunday I was a little under the weather. It was warm enough for a skirt, so I wore my Road Trip Skirt ( BS 05-2012-118), and my Scout tee. But, apparently, no shoes.

Monday, May 30, Memorial Day
Monday we met my friend, Martha, for a tasting at Venus Spirits on the West Side. If you find yourself in Santa Cruz, and you're not a teetotaler, this is a fun thing to do on a sunny weekend afternoon. We tried two gins, two agaves, a rye and a whiskey. My first time tasting everything but the whiskey. We got to keep the glasses, plus we got to eat two baskets of really delicious pretzels. I wore my Vogue 8382, one of the first things I made when I started sewing again about 5 years ago. The darts are wack, but I really like the fabric, so it survived my closet Kondo-ing. I'd like to try this pattern again, now that I have a bit more sewing experience under my belt.

Tuesday, May 31
Tuesday I wore my shirtwaist dress from Gertie's New Book for Better Sewing. I had planned to wear this dress on Memorial Day, but I found I was missing a button. Luckily, I had sewn a back-up button to the inside seam, just below the pocket, so I had a spare to pop back on. I stole this tip from RTW and it's been handy several times. I like this dress. There's shirring at the back waist, which gives it a nice shape, but it's very comfortable to wear.

In retrospect, it looks like I go out to dinner a lot. Really, I don't. May was just an unusually social month. Just as well, because it gave me an excuse to haul out some of the dresses I don't often wear. It was so much fun seeing what other sewists wear in their daily lives. Thanks, Zo, for creating this annual event!

2 comments:

  1. I just wanted to say how much I've enjoyed seeing your me-made May choices, and just reading your blog in general. i don't do Instagram so it's nice to see the line-up, and the clothes in use. TS

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all of them! I especially love the stretch jeans and the blue pants. I am inspired by them. Well done!

    ReplyDelete