Tuesday, September 26, 2023

Bryer Skirt by Liz Haywood

I first saw this skirt on Fadanista's blog, and I really liked it. Her version is made from a lovely corduroy and it looks like it would be perfect for striding across the moors in sturdy boots and a warm shawl. I didn't have any corduroy, and here on the Central Coast we are lacking in moors. But I did have a hunk of inky blue linen so I decided to go for it.


This is the Bryer skirt, from Liz Haywood. She's a zero waste designer who lives in South Australia. I've been intrigued by the idea of zero waste but many of the garments produced just don't ring my bell. I really liked the looks of this skirt though. The darts at the hem give it an interesting shape, and I liked the idea of a couple of big pockets sandwiched in the closures. 


The process felt like an adventure. I must have shifted my pattern pieces around for 20 minutes before something clicked. Here's the layout I ended up with. The front and back of the skirt are identical, and the rectangular-ish pieces in the corners are the pockets. Looks like I had juuust the right amount of fabric, doesn't it?

Actually, I had a small hunk left, which I needed for the waistband. So I guess my particular skirt isn't really zero waste, but I came pretty close.

I went for the long version because of the whole moor-striding fantasy, and I like it. We're still in flip-flop weather but once winter comes I think it will look nice with a pair of boots and maybe a chunky cropped sweater up top.

There are 8 darts around the hem of the skirt which gives it a rectangular vibe, kind of like one of those tablecloth skirts. I wish I were cool enough to post a video, because it looks nice as you move in it. 

The construction was very straightforward, except for inserting those pockets into the closures at the waist. I got it done but I'm not convinced I got it done correctly. They are, indeed, nice and big though.

My linen is a bit sheer in the light, so I should probably wear a slip with this. I'll try to think of it as a petticoat (see moor-striding fantasy above). 

My pattern review is on PatternReview.com here.


2 comments:

  1. Lovely skirt! Maybe a slip now, and tights with boots later….I have to go investigate my stash now,,,,,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! I just found your blog. I really like all your makes I've seen so far - this skirt is really cool! Like you say, it does look great for striding around the moors :) I love the top you're wearing with it as well!

    ReplyDelete