Saturday, May 16, 2020

Burda Camp Shirt in Gingham

This is that rare project that I ended up liking better than I thought I would.

I'm working through the stash while we shelter in place here on the Central Coast. About mid-pile I unearthed a yard and a half of green gingham that I got at a thrift/antique shop in Lovelock, Nevada about three years ago. I liked the cheerful color, so I scooped it up. Once I got it home I got stuck thinking of what I would wear with a green gingham...top?...skirt?...dress? Plus, after laundering I suspected the fabric was a poly blend. It felt a little crisper than cotton alone. But I still liked the color, so it sat in the stash waiting for inspiration to creep up on it.


Last week I decided a camp shirt was going to be my best bet. Simple, a bit retro to match the fabric and I could wear it with denim skirts and pants, of which there are a few in my wardrobe.

I pulled out a camp shirt pattern I'd made before. It's top #116 from the April, 2012 issue of Burdastyle. This pattern is super simple to put together. It has a cut-on button band with integrated front facing and no collar stand. As I cut it out in the gingham I had a worry that the top would end up looking like something Ellie Mae Clampett would wear to shop Rodeo Drive, but I persisted.


Turned out I had the perfect buttons in my sewing kit; little white squares that match the white squares in the gingham.


I remembered that the pattern is quite cropped, so I added 3 inches to the bottom. Once I tried it on I realized a bit more ease around the hips would be good, so I added a hem slit.


I wore it yesterday with a denim skirt and turns out I like it quite a bit!


The suspected polyester content keeps it from wrinkling, but it didn't feel uncomfortable to wear, even though it was a warm, sunny day.


I probably don't need any more gingham tops but I'll enjoy this one. I will be using the pattern again too. It's easy to put together and it's nice for big prints and patterns, since there are no darts to interfere with the fabric design. I think I feel a quilting cotton calling my name....

My pattern review is on PatternReview.com here.



1 comment:

  1. Just found your blog, thank you so much! It’s lovely to read and your garments are beautiful. Might agree with you (nowdays) that its a straightforward pattern,but somewhere in the bottom of a box I have #118 from 6/2013 (my first burda magazine) and.. an adventure.

    ReplyDelete