Monday, April 27, 2020

New Look with Fish

My friend, Jessica, passed this fabric along to me.


Fish fabric! In nice, bright colors that mesh with most of my wardrobe.

Jessica acquired it from her friend, Susan, who was cleaning out her stash. It's cotton; a piece about a yard long. Small enough so I thought about making something for my grand daughter. But, nope, I decided to try to eke out something for me instead.



After some thought, I hauled out New Look 6598. I've made this top a bunch of times over the years. It's dated 2002 and I probably bought it right about then. View E, the sleeveless version without a collar, can be squeezed out of an amazingly small chunk of fabric.


A bit of pattern Tetris and, presto, I have a new summer top.


We've had a chilly, drippy spring here on the Central Coast. The last few days have been glorious though; sunny and breezy. Warm enough so that sitting in the yard in shorts and a sleeveless top is a real possibility.


This pattern has fisheye (ha ha!) darts front and back so it has some shape. The pattern has little waist ties inserted in the back darts, but I leave those out. I also skip the facings for the armscyes and do a bias binding finish instead.


It's a nice, simple top that I'm sure I'll keep making as the years go by.

My pattern review is on PatternReview.com here.



2 comments: