Wednesday, April 29, 2020

Loes Hines Oxford Pant

Sheltering in place has led me and my pattern stash on a lovely trip down memory lane. Take the Oxford Pant, for example. This pattern was one of the first that I bought when I started sewing again about ten years ago. I got it at a lovely little store (now so sadly closed) in Carmel, called Findings. And I sewed it up in a drapey mystery fabric that I bought from Loes Hines, herself, at her shop in Carmel.

I liked those pants a lot, even though they weren't very well made. My skills were darn rusty at that time. I happened to try them on not too long ago and I was reminded how nice they are. So I decided to have another go.


I actually bought this fabric specifically for this pattern. It was at Hart's and I think it was at their Super Bowl Sale in February. Boy, that seems like years ago now, doesn't it?


It's a tencel twill and I did not enjoy working with it. I believe I asked The Man to remind me to never, ever make anything out of tencel again as long as I lived. It wiggled and frayed and made my life a misery.


Now that it is subdued into pant form, though, I love it. It's heavy enough to feel like a bottom weight but it flows like silk. And it's machine washable and dryable.


The pattern is dated 2004. I think it's kind of a classic. Sort of palazzo-pant style but the legs aren't out-of-control wide.


Here's a view of the elastic waist. For science. I don't normally tuck in my tops. A hint of mystery about the midsection is a good thing.

I'll enjoy wearing these pants during the dog days of summer. If I can think of a drapey fabric that isn't such a bear to handle, I'll make myself another pair.

My pattern review is on PatternReview.com here.



2 comments:

  1. Linen with spandex? It’s not really stretchy, but has lovely weight and swing too. I bought some from mood a few years ago. This tendril pair really looks great!

    ReplyDelete