Thursday, November 29, 2018

Athlesiure

Way back in March of 2015 I made a pair of sweat pants to wear in a martial arts class I was taking at the time. I've always thought of them as my Bagua Pants. I'm not doing the bagua class anymore, but I have worn the sweat pants quite a bit. So often, in fact, that they've gotten pretty beat up. I've been meaning to make another pair for a while now, so the last time I was poking around at Hart's I bought myself a couple hunks of jersey and I made two at once.



The pattern is Burdastyle 03/2014 #112 (Workout Pants). They're supposed to be drawstring pants, but I know by now that drawstrings don't work for me. I just used some 1/2 inch elastic instead.




They come up to my waist, even though they look lower in the picture above. That's partly because I have my hands in the (very nice) pockets and partly because I like my elastic loose.

Closeup of very nice pockets
Besides good pockets, these pants have an ankle cuff. The sweatpants of my youth had elastic at the ankles. As someone with sturdy, peasant ankles I always found that elastic kind of annoying. These cuffs are snug enough to keep out drafts but loose enough to be very comfortable. They're also just right to keep my pant leg pulled up out of bicycle-chain reach when I'm out for a bike ride.



I'm really ridiculously happy with these pants. The jersey is just substantial enough to make them ideal for a chilly morning. Considering how quick and easy they are to make, I have no idea why it took me so long.


I may be just fooling myself, but I think they're a little more presentable than your basic Mervyn's sweats. Not that I'd wear them out to dinner and a movie, though in Santa Cruz the dress code would certainly allow it. I think they're fine for gyming and grocery shopping, and for lounging around the house. Since I'm now retired, those happen to be my primary activities. Wardrobe sorted!



My original pattern review is on PatternReview.com here.

3 comments:

  1. These pants look very comfortable. I could wear something like that almost anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you, retired and casual. I think these pants look perfect for everyday activities, and they look very presentable. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love these! Burda Style pants always fit me with very little alterations. I wouldn't have looked twice at these--but they look great on you and I'll take that 2nd look :-D And you're right--casual lifestyles call for looking good for ourselves if no one else, right?

    ReplyDelete