Wednesday, December 11, 2013

My Minoru

I finished my Minoru jacket last week and I've been wearing it every day since. That's why it looks a little rumpled on Mini Me here.


Jaunty Mini Me
Pattern Description – from the pattern envelope

The Minoru Jacket is a zip-front weekend jacket with a secret hood hidden inside the wide collar! If you prefer, skip the hood and let the dramatic collar be the focus. Flattering raglan sleeves are comfortable and easy-to-sew, and the elastic waistline creates a slim, curve-hugging silhouette.
No need to choose between having a hood OR a cute collar. The hood is tucked away in the wide, roomy collar, ready for when you need it, but stays hidden when you don’t! The collar looks great done up or left open. The jacket is fully lined, with interior patch pockets to stash your cards and keys safely and out of sight.

Pattern Sizing
0-18. I cut a 10 at the bust, an 8 at the waist and a 0 at the hips. Tasia designs for a pear- shaped figure and I’m more of a brick. I find that if I cut according to Tasia's measurement chart, Sewaholic patterns work out just fine for me though.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes!
Were the instructions easy to follow?
I’m adding my voice to the many singing the praises of this Sewaholic pattern. I'm amazed that I was able to turn out something so comfortable that looks so nicely made. It's true what they say: the instructions are clear, the online sew along by Tasia is great and the FO is very satisfying.

Despite the wealth of information available to me, I managed to confuse myself about how to attach the collar to the jacket. I emailed Sewaholic and Caroline kindly answered right back and set me straight. Try that with Vogue or Butterick!
What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?

The elastic band in the back, besides giving you a bit of shape, keeps everything sungged up and warm as toast. We’ve been having an unusual cold snap here on the Central Coast – down to 28 degrees last Wednesday. If I tuck a scarf or cowl around my neck and zip up that roomy collar I’m good to go. Can’t think of any dislikes!
From the back, with the collar flipped up.
 
Inside pocket at work - there's one on the other side too.
Fabric Used
I used a blue-grey twill and lined it with flannel. I got the fabric at Stone Mountain and Daughter, and the color advice from my friend Lisa. I needed a fabric that would repel dog hair, or at least not invite it to come on in and set a spell. We have an 80 pound Great Pyrenees who has a coat like a cross between a polar bear and an angora rabbit. And she sheds like there’s no tomorrow. The twill gets a little fuzzy, but I can more or less brush things off and look presentable.
Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
80 percent of my outings these days are dog walks. What with cell phone, keys, dog treats, sunglasses, flashlight (or the poop-a-scope as my friend Kent calls it), and other necessities, I need pockets and I need a lot of them. I included the two inside pockets as designed by Tasia. And I added side seam pockets because I’m loaded down like a pack mule when I go out. It was an easy thing to do, thanks to the tutorial that Amy kindly posted over at Sew Well.
I’d highly recommend Minoru to others and I’m thinking about a version with a hood. Maybe in something water repellant?
Minoru in the wild

No comments:

Post a Comment