Thursday, August 10, 2023

Twig and Tale Fairy Wings

 My great niece is turning 3 next Sunday. I made her a shark puppet for Christmas last year, which was reportedly a hit, so I thought I'd try for another hand made toy.

These are the Woodland Sprite Wings from Twig and Tale. In this first picture they're perched on a lily pad baby blanket.

Here they are held up by moi, so you can get a sense of the size. I made the Small, which is intended for kids aged 1 - 3. When I don't have the kid right in front of me I find I can no longer judge how big a 3-year old is, but I think this will work for Jeanne for a little while anyway.

Here's a close-up of the public side. The wings are stiffened with some heavy-duty interfacing on both front and back and also some sew-in interfacing on the front. They feel pretty sturdy. I'm not a pro at working with those types of materials, but the instructions were good so I was able to muscle my way through.

The appliqués can be cut from little scraps of whatever you like. I used a fuse-able adhesive to position them and then zig-zagged around the edges to hold them on permanently (I hope). 


Here's the underside. The kid is meant to slide their arms through the elastic straps and then flit about the house like a sprite. The stiffened line down the middle, which the designer calls a spine, is supposed to keep the wings at attention, and also give them a little bit of movement. I haven't seen them on an actual kid but I'm pretty convinced they'll operate as intended. 

My great niece is a cute little nubbins who dances around like a fairy even without any wings. I'm hoping she'll get a kick out of these.

My pattern review is on PatternReview.com here.



1 comment: