Friday, January 21, 2022

Archer in Linen

 I seem to be developing a linen problem. I keep getting these emails from the Fabrics-store in the middle of the night. Their write-ups are impossible to resist. Here's what they had to say about this cut, which is a lightweight linen in Cobalt: 

"Dark, brooding and dramatic, the intense blue of COBALT linen was ideal for Renaissance painter Jacopo Vignali's heightened, operatic scenes. 

A leading painter in the Florentine Seicento, Vignali's Baroque paintings were defined by flowing swathes of jewel-toned fabric in midnight blues and crimson reds; set amidst theatrical, directional light, these richly toned colors amplify the romantic agony and tragedy of his stories."

Right?! 

And when it arrived, I wasn't disappointed. It's lightweight and almost sheer, with a bit of a sheen and very nice movement. And the color is a really lovely deep blue; almost navy but brighter. Beautiful.

I used the Grainline Archer pattern, which I've made a fair few times before. I really like the fit, and there's a sew-along on Youtube that really helps with the fiddly parts (hello, collar stand and sleeve plackets).

I hear that linen improves with age, becoming softer and more comfortable with each wash. If that's true, this will be my favorite shirt of all time. 

And I won't feel too guilty about the three other hunks of linen I bought this month. 

My pattern review is on PatternReview.com here.


1 comment:

  1. That is indeed a beautiful color. Looking forward to seeing what you make of the other "hunks"! Also totally agree about the Archer sew along. Without the videos, I never would have made it through my first iteration.

    ReplyDelete