Tuesday, September 17, 2019

Undie-palooza

As I promised myself last month, I took a couple of days this week and sat down to make up a passel of undies from Jalie 2568. I used the double brushed poly knits I ordered from Cali Fabrics. So soft, and such great recovery...

I am now 8 pairs of undies richer than I was last week.


Once again, I finished the waist with a self-fabric band and just turned and zig-zagged the leg openings. Last time I cut the waistband strips at 2 inches; this batch I used 1.5 inch strips and they were plenty wide enough.

I love that I don't have to use any fancy elastics for these. They're super comfortable and not a shadow of VPL.


I made two Pineapple undies,


Two blue rose undies


Two autumn flower undies


And two leopard print undies (rohwer!)

I have to say, the sweatshop style of sewing is not my favorite. It makes so much sense with undies, of course, because if you're making them at all you might as well make a bunch.

But by the time I was cutting out my last pair I was darn tired of cutting. Same with the construction piece. In fact, I was tired enough that I sewed one pair together with the gusset on the outside, even though I was sure I'd cracked the code for correct construction.

Now that they're done, though, I love them all. I can hardly wait to do some spring cleaning in my lingerie drawer. My old Victoria's Secrets are headed for the rag bag, and high time too.

My pattern review is on PatternReview.com here.

Edited to add: I got a question on whether the brushed poly is hot to wear. It does have a warm hand feel, I think because of the brushed surface, but I don't find it hot or sweaty to wear. I have a couple tee shirts made from this same fabric and they're also comfortable. Give it a try and see what you think!

3 comments:

  1. I have never done batch sewing either, and I always thought it sounded like a slog. However, it seems to be the best approach for small things like this. I love your undies! I am a bit afraid of polyester undies. Aren't they hot?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these! I bought the pattern when you posted about it before. I love the idea of just turn and stitch edges and the waist band. Now I need to make some!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is my go to pattern also. I agree 100% with everything you said - no elastics(comfy and no vpl) and a dislike for batch sewing (but still used for undies). Go Jalie!

    ReplyDelete