Tuesday, April 16, 2019

Sapporo Coat

I was cruising through Stone Mountain fabrics when I saw it. They had a sample of the Sapporo Coat made up in linen. It was unlined, with contrasting hong kong finish inside. I wanted that coat, and I wanted it bad. I really liked the way the pockets were set into those curved front seams. I liked the swagger of the oversized, cocoon shaping. And I liked that it looked pretty straightforward to sew; no tailoring, no darts, no closures.


So I bought the pattern right then and there. And I'm glad I did, even though it's the most expensive pattern I've ever purchased.

Papercut notes that the envelope model is 5/10". That's about 8 inches taller than me, so I was expecting the finished coat to be pretty long, loose and swingy. Which it is. And I think I like it. It makes me feel jaunty and debonair. I do need to wear this coat over a slim fit under layer though, or I risk looking too much like Yoda.

There are three sizes: XXS/XS, S/M, and L/XL. I cut the smallest size.


It was a totally problem-free project. I love those. The pattern instructions are good, and everything fits together well. Even the lining went in easily for me, and this is only the second time I've ever lined anything.


I used a brushed cotton twill in a kind of a dark olive green from Hart's. I used a lighter olive green flannel for the lining. Smitten as I was with those hong kong seams, I didn't want to have to actually apply them, especially on those curved pocket pieces. Plus, I thought the twill outer shell combined with a flannel lining would give the coat enough heft to see me through our winter season. Here on the Central Coast, that means temps in the mid-50s.


The pattern calls for 3 yards of 55" wide fabric and it really does use it all, even in the smallest size. Those pieces are big and oddly shaped. I was able to cut everything out with the fabric folded though.

Green flannel lining
This pattern was so fun to sew that I really want to make another one right away. I probably don't need a stable of cocoon coats though. The Man is already slightly alarmed at how little space there is for him in our coat closet.


Maybe just one more in a large scale print. Unlined, to toss on over a sleeveless shell in the summer for a bit of sun protection.

My pattern review is on PatternReview.com here.



1 comment:

  1. This looks very chic! Yes, it would be great in a print for spring - go for it!

    ReplyDelete