Friday, June 15, 2018

Baby Hats

I set up the sewing machine yesterday to make a couple of sun hats to take down to the kids in Manhattan Beach. I began with an Oliver + S bucket hat for The Grandson.

I made him the smallest version of this hat last winter and he's worn it a fair bit. He lives in a beach town, so a little sun protection for the old noggin is a good thing.


It's gotten a bit small for him now that he's one whole year old, so this time I sized up to the Small (12-24 months).


This is a free pattern, and a very nice one too. It includes sizes Extra Small (6-12 month) through Large (6-8 years), so it will keep your kid's head covered until they're halfway through primary school. Plus, it's a great project for using up scraps of fun fabric.


I hope you're not too creeped out by seeing my hat model in full frontal mode. Believe me, the hat looks a lot cuter on a cheeky baby.

I used a Cotton and Steel cotton lawn called "Owl and Cactus." He has a cactus theme going on in his nursery, so I pick up every piece of cactus paraphernalia I see.

Fabric print close up. Cute, yes?
The Grandson wears his current version with the brim turned up jauntily.


Like so. See, it does look a lot cuter on a cheeky baby.


My exciting news is that I am about to become the grandmother of a girl baby. She's due towards the end of September and I can hardly wait. It's been all boy babies in my family. This is my first shot at crafting things for a girl, so there will be some pink overload going on for the first few months.

Since she will also be basking in that Southern California sun, she will be requiring a sun hat year round. This is the Baby Sunbonnet from Purl Soho, another free pattern. It comes in sizes 0-24 months.

Side view
Prepare to be super creeped out by this next shot. I thought about drawing on some eyes and a smiley mouth, but that would probably be even worse.

Scariest hat model ever
I used a girly pink flowered cotton lawn for this one.

Rear view
Baby things can be a bit fiddly to sew because of all the little pieces and opposing curves. This hat was very easy to put together though.

Lining shot
I lined it with a light cotton lawn in ivory.

I highly recommend both these patterns. They go together easily and both sites include great instructions. Plus, free.

My pattern reviews are on PatternReview.com: Bucket Hat and Sunbonnet.

5 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the coming granddaughter. I think sewing for a little girl would be so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute hats. Even cuter little boy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never too many sun hats for baby! He is adorable and the flipped up rim so styling. I like the fabric you used. Happy Summer

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, those hats are gorgeous - well done! My sweet little granddaughter is heading for her 4th birthday & just about every day, wears one of the (many) hats I've made for her. (We too are in a sunny climate.) Congratulations on your soon-to-be born little one - sewing for girls is SO MUCH FUN! Warm wishes from Brisbane.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations! I have 7 granddaughters and 1 grandson- LOL! So I was very happy to have a grandson!
    The hats are adorable!

    ReplyDelete