Sunday, May 8, 2016

Me Made May Week 1

One week down, three-and-a-half to go. I planned on giving my dresses and skirts an outing this month, but it's been chilly and gray these last few days. I guess it's the lingering effects of El Nino. Cold needn't preclude skirts, only I am not a tights or stockings lover. They make me feel as I imagine men feel when wearing a necktie; like I'm slowly strangling to death.

Sunday, May 1
Here's Sunday, May the first. The top and trousers are both from Burdastyle. The tee is BS 02-2013-#126 and the pants are BS 06-2012-#109, the 70's pants. Sunday was a lazy day, and pretty to boot. I did a little bit of preparatory yard work and went on a run.

Monday, May 2
Monday I did some real yard work, including turning the compost pile. And guess what? I had compost! My past attempts to produce compost have all been failures, but this time I got an actual bushel basket of compost! I was so excited, I divvied it up into little bits and top dressed every plant I could reach. I wore an ancient Renfrew and an old pair of Burdastyle Straight Pants (10-2013-#127).


Tuesday, May 3
This is another Renfrew and another pair of BS 10-2013-#127. This pair is made from the pattern I altered at our sewing weekend in Sonora. I love them. Must make another pair soon! The top is made from a mystery knit that I got as part of a bundle from the Tilton booth at Puyallup last year. The fabric is pretty light weight and wrinkles more than it seems a knit should. I should probably pass it along to the Goodwill. But I think I like the color, even though the green is so acid it kind of puts my teeth on edge.

Wednesday, May 4 (a.k.a. Star Wars Day)
I tried to get a little more creative here. The top is the Zigzag pullover from Wendy Bernard's Custom Knits 2, only without the zig-zags. I used some Madeline Tosh, and I think it was sock yarn. The pants are Simplicity 3688, a 1940s repro pattern. I like the way these pants fit and the high waist is great for tucking in tops. Wish they had pockets though. I might try to add some in my next version.

Thursday, May 5 (Cinco de Mayo)
Thursday it actually rained, something we always celebrate on the Central Coast. It was also chilly and gray most of the day, so I wore a cowl-neck Renfrew and my Bagua pants. I keep wanting to make another pair of these pants in a slightly heavier knit. They're nice and cozy, and I tell myself they look a bit sleeker than your standard sweatpants.

Friday, May 6
Another chilly, rainy day. I wore my original pair of BS 06-2012-#109 and an Ingenue sweater from Custom Knits by Wendy Bernard. This is a great, simple, top-down raglan pattern that knits up quick.

Saturday, May 7
Still overcast all day, so I went for my flannel Archer and a pair of Eleonore jeans. Nothing like a flannel shirt to keep you warm on a chilly day. The Man likes this shirt enough that he's mentioned he  could use a flannel of his own. I just need to find the right fabric. It's surprisingly hard to find flannel that doesn't have yellow duckies or rainbows all over it.

Sunday, May 8 (Mother's Day)
Back around to Sunday! It was damp and cloudy again this morning, so I went for my denim Burdastyle Straight Pants (10-2013-#127) and another Wendy Bernard sweater. This is the Backward Cabled Pullover from Custom Knits, only with the cable in the front.

It's been a very nice Mother's Day. I had a call and a package from The Boy. He sent me a cheese making kit and a basil garden in a can, so we'll be having pizza one of these days. I'll be seeing my nephews this afternoon, and The Man is taking me out to dinner, even though I am not his mother. 

Here's hoping for a little warm weather next week!

3 comments:

  1. The chilly peninsula weather is really doing a number on my Me-Made options. Did *not* expect to need sweaters over the weekend. So I fudged and made do with some non-me-mades.

    I need to take a tip from you and make some pants asap. I have only one me-made pair, so it's skirts for me this month. :/

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lovely collection of hand made clothes, I love the blue trousers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow you've made so many trousers! I've still not made any, I need to get over that fear I think as I don't enjoy wearing tights either, except in the depths of winter. I love the blue and purple combination in your first photo.

    ReplyDelete