Friday, September 6, 2024

Burdastyle Elastic Waist Pants

This is another oldie but goodie. It's from the May, 2013 issue of Burdastyle magazine. I made several of these pants back in the day. Then I put that pattern aside and moved along to shiny, new pants patterns. In fact, I put it aside so completely that I've since lost that issue of the magazine. 

I recently found an old pair of these pants in a grey cotton/linen blend in the lower strata of the pants drawer. I tried them on and remembered that I liked them a lot. So I hauled a 2 yard cut of linen out of the fabric closet and made another.


This is medium weight linen from the fabrics-store.com in a color called Montana Grape. They describe it thusly:

"The dusty, muted warmth of Montana Grape linen was the ideal backdrop for Paul Gauguin's rustic scenes, conveying sun-soaked tracks of earth, dry flowers, or the shadowy layered depths of human skin. [yuck!]

A leader in the French Post-Impressionist oeuvre, Gauguin heightened colors so he could transcend reality, combining this dreamy shade of purple with feverish jungle greens that together transport us into a magical, otherworldly place. 

He observed with fascination, "Colour! What a deep and mysterious language, the language of dreams."

In certain lights it looks almost grey, so I'm thinking of it as a neutral. We'll see how that works out for me once I try blending it into my closet.


These pants are supposed to have a drawstring waist, but I can't ever figure out how to arrange the bow on a drawstring, so I just subbed in elastic. There are nice, deep slash pockets and the legs are pretty straight from the hip.

Here's a top-tucked-in photo to show what the waist looks like. I used a one-inch wide elastic, so the waist holds snugly enough that I can slide my phone in my pocket while dog walking without making the pants droop.


There are several patterns in this issue of Burdastyle that I remember fondly and would like to make again. I tried doing a little on-line shopping to order myself a replacement copy of the issue I'd lost. I thought I'd found it, but when the magazine got here it was the German language version. I tried again and ended up ordering a French language version. Can I read either language? No. 


I think I'll sit pat for a bit. Maybe me and Google Translate can become friends. 

My pattern review is on PatternReview.com here.


No comments:

Post a Comment