Friday, September 10, 2021

Wee Wonderful Doll

 My granddaughter is about to turn three, which doesn't seem possible. Partly, in truth, because of the visits I missed during the pandemic. Thank goodness for FaceTime; my son was very good about pinging me often so I could talk to the kids. 

Since Gogo is now a big girl who can dress herself (more or less) I thought she might have some fun with a Mini-Me doll that she could be the boss of. 

I poked around the internet looking for ideas and ended up deciding to pop for a pattern. Given all the time and focus in the world I probably could have come up with something myself, but boy am I glad I didn't have to try. 

This is the Kit doll from a pattern by Wee Wonderfuls. The pattern includes a doll body, instructions for three wigs and patterns for a playsuit, two blouses, wide leg pants, a pinafore, a basic tee and basic leggings. Theres's even a pattern for little shoes you can stitch out of felt.

Gogo sometimes wears her hair in Princess Leia buns, so I made the Kit doll to match her style.

Here she is in the wide leg pants and the peasant blouse.


And here she is in her birthday suit, so you can see how she's constructed. This pattern has you make the arms and legs separately and tack them on by hand, which seems like an invitation for someone's 4 year old brother to dismember her. Next time I might add a few strategic seams to allow the limbs to be inserted and attached by machine.


The pattern includes clever instructions for making three different wigs out of yarn. I think the hair ended up looking great, but I worry a bit that the hand stitching attaching it to Kit's head won't stand up to toddler play. My neighbor makes art dolls and she kindly gave me advice on this project. She suggested I add a couple lines of glue to her skull to reinforce her hair, which I did. Fingers crossed.

Here she is in her jammies and slippers.


And here she is in a tee and skirt I made from scraps from a dress I made Gogo last year for her birthday (she's still trying to grow into that one). 


Gogo always wears shorts under her dresses, so I make a little pair of shorts for Kit, to preserve her modesty.

Gogo is currently pretty into mermaids, especially purple ones, so I pulled together a mermaid tail for Kit to slip on when she wants to have an undersea adventure, perhaps playing with some of my grandson's sharks. I actually made a toile for this, and I'm glad I did because I think it looks a lot more fish-like than my first effort. I also used one of the decorative stitches on my machine to add a hint of scales. My Babylock has 250 decorative stitches and this is the second time I've used one.


Here's the whole wardrobe. I just need to dream up some sort of suitcase for Kit's outfits and I'll be ready for the party next week. 


My pattern review is on PatternReview.com here.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, this is just priceless! She will love it! I think you need to just make a little zippered pouch for her suitcase, but you are so clever, I am sure you will think up something perfect. She will never forget this birthday gift.

    ReplyDelete