Thursday, April 11, 2019

Tensho Pullover

Every so often I cough up a knitted finished object. This is the Tensho Pullover, by Beatrice Perron.


I hear that stranded yoke sweaters are having a moment in the knitting world. No wonder too, because they're fun to make.


I used Cascade 220 in Amathyst and Dark Purple.


It's been more than 45 years since I've knit one of these bottom-up, in-the-round yoked sweaters. It's very satisfying because you slog along through the sleeves and body and then join them up and start decreasing around the yoke like there's no tomorrow. You can go from three disjointed pieces to a finished sweater in what feels like no time.


When I got to the neck I was a bit flummoxed though. I tried it on before adding the neck band and the shoulders wanted to pop up awkwardly, like pigs ears. I was tempted to add another round or two of decreases to bring in the neckline. Luckily, before I got to work I tugged it down forcefully in a fit of frustration and, voila, a boat neck appeared!

Then I vaguely remembered that these stranded yoke sweaters can pull in a bit at the top, especially if your tension for the color work isn't as even as it should be (cough cough). So I followed the pattern instructions for the neckline and did an aggressive blocking. Problem solved.


As usual, I finished this wool sweater just as we're cruising into summer. I'll probably be able to squeeze in a few wearings while we're in our June Gloom season; that's when it's foggy until lunchtime, sunny for two hours and then foggy again by mid-afternoon. And I know I'll appreciate wearing it again round about Thanksgiving.

If you're in the market for a yoked color work sweater, this is a nice pattern that's easy to follow and works up quickly.

My Ravelry notes, such as they are, are here.



1 comment:

  1. Wow! that is beautiful, knitting is not in my fingers.....I admire anyone who can do this.

    ReplyDelete