Thursday, April 18, 2019

Beetle Top

I didn't actually set out to make myself a beetle top. I bought this fabric at Britex last year with my grandson in mind. What could be cuter than a little set of overalls covered with beetles? I could call them his Love Bug pants.

As it turns out, though, the kid's style is more Grandpa Chic than Quirky/Cute. Even at 18 months he wears a lot of bermuda shorts and cardigans. Think Mr. Rogers, but way shorter.

So one day last week I decided, "Hey Ho, someone has to be the grandma who wears weird print tops, and it looks like I'm elected."


They look a bit like polka dots from a distance, but when you see them up close they're definitely beetles.


I only had a yard of this fabric, so I pulled out my old reliable, McCall's 8050. I think it's out of print, but it's pretty recent (1996), so it's not too hard to come by. Hmm, just realized that 1996 is 23 years ago. Time just telescopes more and more as I get older.


Anyway, this is the first time I've tried the sleeveless version of this pattern and I like it pretty well. I like the square-ish neckline and I very much like not having to set in the sleeves. The last time I made the sleeved version I swore I would never set in a sleeve again as long as I lived.


The pattern includes facings for the neck and arm scythe. I did use the neck facing, which I think gives a nice finish. I nixed the arm scythe facings in favor of a bias tape finish, which will be much easier to wear. I hate it when facings try to pop out at the underarm, as they always seem to do on sleeveless tops.


I'm thinking this top will be a hit with my grandson, though he would never wear such a thing himself. There's nothing funnier than a grandma in a novelty print top.

My pattern review is on PatternReview.com here.

3 comments:

  1. You are so funny..... and your quirky top is super cute!!! I think your grandson is quite lucky to have a grandma like you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As you say, someone has to wear the quirky prints and Grandma is just the person to do it. It looks good on you. I can see why it's a tnt pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like it! I hear you, set in sleeves are terrible to fiddle with. I would rather not be hassled with that anymore. This top is absolutely perfect for summer wear and I'd wear that print :)

    ReplyDelete