Saturday, January 28, 2023

Moss Jacket

 I've been doing more knitting than sewing lately, probably because the weather has been so wet and chilly here on the central coast. I often watch YouTube while I knit. One afternoon I was catching up on Lifting Pins and Needles and Karina was reviewing the Moss jacket, from Helen's Closet. I thought, "Hey, that's a cute pattern!" and even though I probably have 50 jacket patterns, I decided I wanted to try this one. And I'm glad I did, because I like it a lot.

I do not like my hair in this photo, but you're here for the jacket, right?

It's a loose-fitting, drop shoulder jacket with a wide, fold-over collar and cute yet functional pockets. Ticks all my boxes for an easy layer to wear while walking the dog or hitting the town. 

I used one of the mid-weight linens from the fabrics-store.com in a color called Asphalt. The website says: 

"ASPHALT linen mimics the tone of Vicken Parson's cool, mid-grey shadows, a color suggesting the concrete pavements, rain soaked bricks and hardened metal of the urban jungle."

To my eye, it's a soft, bluish-grey that fits right in with my wardrobe.

I had two yards, which was juuuust enough to cut out the wide-collar, cropped, 3/4 sleeve version. That collar eats up a lot of yardage. It's worth it though.

If I'd had enough fabric I probably would have lengthened the jacket a few inches and moved the pockets down a tad. I'm happy with this iteration though. Even in linen, which I think of as a hot weather fabric, the collar feels nice and cozy at the back of my neck. 


The jacket is unlined and comes together very easily. The only slightly tricky part is curving the collar piece around the neckline in the back, but if you clip and trim it works just fine. I could easily see making another. Maybe the longer version in a warmer fabric. Might have to toss the stash to see what I have in waiting.

My pattern review is on PatternReview.com here.

1 comment:

  1. Very nice make. I have three of her patterns and I’m a fan. I’ve been tempted by this one but haven’t bought it yet. Your review nudges me closer!

    ReplyDelete