Friday, October 15, 2021

A Couple Knitted FOs

 These two sweaters got caught in my annual summer knitting slump. For me, knitting generally requires a blustery day, a nice fire and a hot beverage, so the dog days of summer are a wash. Kind of sad in this case because both of these items were this close to being done at the end of spring.

This one is Anker's Summer Blouse, by Petit Knit. Very simple, top down yoked knit. It's designed for a cotton/rayon/linen blend, but I used some Mission Falls superwash merino that I'd had in stash since the Yarn Dogs closing sale back in '02. Not the best choice, but it's wearable. 


I have some linen upstairs in a storm grey that I might use for a version two. The yoke pattern is just a knit one purl one rib, so this would be a nice knit for a beginner. I'm also thinking it would be easy to swap out the yoke stitches for something else, either another textured stitch or a bit of color work. 

The second one is called Canyon Clay, by Drops Design. Drops Design does a lot of cute, free patterns but I've always been afraid I wouldn't understand the instructions. I decided to give this one a try though, and, sure enough, I didn't understand the instructions. Luckily, kaylakitty had a very helpful comment on Ravelry which got me back on track. Basically, you're doing raglan increases like in any top down knit, but for part of the top you do two increases on each side of the front/back and no increases on the sleeves. I know, crazy talk, but that's what makes the raglan line curve sharply to the sides.

It has kind of a cute, squared neckline.

I'd be tempted to make another of these right away, but it uses a thicker yarn than I usually have in stash. The only stitches used are stockinette and 2x2 ribbing, so this is also a simple knit once you wrap your mind around the instructions for the increases.

I used some Berrocco Suede yarn that my friend Jessica gifted to me when she moved to Ashland last year. Only one year in stash - that's quick use for me!

The pattern calls for short sleeves, but when I tried it on for size I decided I liked the cap sleeve look. So literally all I had to do to finish this sweater was pick up the stitches at the underarms and immediately cast off. Why did it take me 9 months, you may ask? Summer slump.

My Ravelry notes are here, in case you're interested.

No comments:

Post a Comment