Monday, January 20, 2020

Linden Sweatshirt

I welcomed in 2020 with a sinus infection and bronchitis. I spent the first two weeks of January slumped on the couch, streaming schlocky TV and maybe knitting a row or two. Yesterday was really the first day I felt frisky enough to haul out my machine to try a little sewing. I needed a project that was gentle, straightforward and cozy.

The day before I had accompanied my friend Jessica to Hart's. I was supposed to be filling an advisory role, but I ended up buying the pattern for the Linden Sweatshirt along with 2 yards of a Telio sweater knit in a color you might call "grape." The perfect low-key sew to get me back in the saddle.


I had been dithering for a little while about buying this pattern. I hoped it might share the space in my wardrobe which is occupied by the Sewaholic Renfrew. I love my Renfrews and I wear them often, but 've been wanting something not quite so curve-hugging. It seems like styles have gotten a little looser over the past 10 years, and my curves have gotten a little looser right along with them.

At $16, the pattern seems a little pricy for what it is and I thought surely I had something almost identical in my years of Burda magazines. Then I flipped through my pattern stash and it looked like I really didn't, so I pulled the trigger.


I made the longer view, which has full-length sleeves, cuffs and a hem band.

The Linden is described as having a "relaxed" fit. As my bust is 35 inches, the size chart would put me in a size 6. The pattern envelope includes the finished garment measurements (thanks, Grainline!), and the size 6 measures 41.5 inches at the bust. That was a bit more relaxed than I was after, so I sized down to a 4. That still gives me a finished bust of 40.5 inches, which is plenty of ease for me.

I wanted my garment to fit more like a slouchy sweater than a sweatshirt, so I lengthened the neckband, the hem band and the cuffs. I didn't want them to pull in like your classic sweatshirt would. Plus, I was using self-fabric for my bands and not that super-stretchy ribbed jersey they make for sweatshirts.


I also shortened the sleeves by about 3 inches. Once I added the two inch cuffs the sleeve length is just about perfect.

It took me three times longer to figure out my sizing tweaks than it did to cut and sew my sweatshirt. I'll be able to knock the next one out in an hour, easy.


Overall, I like it! I can see myself using this pattern again and again, just like my old friend the Renfrew. If I go down one more size, the short-sleeve version will be a handy staple for summer tees. My verdict: the Linden was $16 well spent.

My pattern review is on PatternReview.com here.


No comments:

Post a Comment