Sunday, December 2, 2018

Petite Peg Legs

For most of my life I had no female children in my orbit. I have a son and three wonderful nephews. My local extended family has sons but no daughters. My closest friend with children has two boys; they feel like my nephews too. Yep, the kids in my life have pretty much been all male.

Then this year I went from zero to sixty in the girl baby department. I have a beautiful new granddaughter, there are two new granddaughters in my extended family and one of my best friends is about to become the grandmother of a female. At last I can knit and sew girl stuff! So, with the holidays coming up, I decided to pump out some Peg Legs.

This is the free Petite Peg Legs pattern from Patterns for Pirates. As they're baby-sized, there are only 4 pages to print out and tape together. One pattern piece, plus a waistband, and very good instructions. I made 5 pairs in about 2 hours, start to finish.



The pattern includes 6 sizes, from preemie to 12 months, and I made 3 of them.




The little roses are the 3 month size. they're for the girl baby who isn't quite born yet. Currently, her mother is tapping her watch and and telling her to please get on with it.



The pink cactus ones are the 6 month size, made from the leftovers of this dress. Cactus are kind of a thing for her big brother, so how could I not grab some pink cactus jersey for her when I saw it at Stone Mountain Daughter?


The little frogs are the 9 month size. The grandmother of this girl baby has a major thing for frogs. When I saw the fabric, I just had to.

The leggings were simple and streamlined to put together. By the 5th pair I was getting pretty darn good at it. There's no elastic in the waistband, which I really like. First, who likes to fiddle with elastic? And second, it seems like it will be more comfortable for a baby to wear.

Will these leggings fit an actual baby of any age whatsoever? Heck if I know; I don't have one available for a fitting. They look reasonable though, and reports on the pattern are good, so I'm feeling like I'm ahead of the game for holiday gift giving.

While I was snagging this pattern I also downloaded the free adult version. I doubt that a woman of my years should be wearing leggings in public, but if it's as user-friendly as this baby version I'd like to make a pair or two just for lounging in front of the fire on crisp winter evenings.

My pattern review is on PatternReview.com here.

1 comment:

  1. I think we are allowed the leggings under tunics that cover the bum. In case you discover the comfort of leggings just too irresistible!

    ReplyDelete