Monday, October 8, 2018

Burdastyle Summer Jacket

I must be on a kimono sleeve kick. Or maybe these are really batwing sleeves, because they get narrower at the cuff? Anyway, there have been several patterns in my last few Burdastyle magazines that I mean to try, and this is the one I chose to do first. Burda describes it as a sweatshirt fabric jacket and that's just what it is.



I think it came out pretty well, though if we were having a "who wore it best" contest, the Burdastyle model would beat me by a furlong.



Here's the line drawing. It's pattern #119 in the the August, 2018 issue


This is one of the quickest, easiest patterns I've ever had the pleasure to sew. It's a 3-seams-and-you're-done kind of pattern. The edges are all finished by turning and stitching. Burda suggested a twin needle, but I used one of the decorative stitches on my machine. My Babylock has a billion decorative stitches that I almost never use, so when I see a chance to play around with them, I like to take it.

Side view
There are pleats in front and in back, which moves the shoulders close to Gloria Swanson territory. They give it a little more swagger than your garden variety sweatshirt.

Back view
You can see how batwing-ed those sleeves are from this back view. I have a small collection of light layers to pull on when I'm chilly in the house of an evening. OK, maybe it's a fairly large collection, but many of them have snugger sleeves. This baby is loose enough to fit pretty much anything as an underlayer, so I think it will have it's place in my winter evening wardrobe.


I used a cotton sweatshirt fabric with a snuggly inside layer. It feels light but toasty and I hope it will stand up to spaghetti sauce and frequent washing. If not, I won't feel too bad because I can zip up another one in no time flat. This is truly a quick and easy sew.

My pattern review is on PatternReview.com here.

4 comments:

  1. Your photos are great. The Burda photo obscures the shoulder pleats, which look particularly good on the back. Great for snuggling into in fleecy fabric in winter, or light weight over summer dress for cooler nights.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like this! --and on you rather than the model (they're usually too thin for me tell how anything would look on a normal person). Because of your photos, I'm inspired to make this :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Question: the sleeves on you look like they're snug enough to stay put when pushed up--not so on the model. Did you take them in a bit?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I didn't take them in. I even actually measured my 5/8 inch turn up instead of just eyeballing it. They're just loose enough to slip down if I'm using my hands much. I think I'll just take a small tuck on the inside seam and it will be perfect for me. The sleeves come out bracelet length, like you see on the model. If you want them to be full length, you might want to measure and add a bit. I hope you give it a try and that I get to see pictures!

      Delete